Communicating with others in virtual reality is only possible when Oculus Quest 2 mic works properly. If your mic is unresponsive, something may be wrong with your headset or the mic itself.
Fortunately, there are a few ways to fix the Oculus Quest 2 mic not working problem. Try each method below, and your mic will work again in no time.
Oculus Quest 2 Mic Not Working – How to Fix
Table of Contents
Check That the Mic is Unmute
Before trying other complex fixes, ensure your Oculus Quest 2 mic is unmuted. You or someone else may have accidentally muted the mic, causing it to stop working. Check the settings and toggle it on if it is off.
You can access the mute/unmute settings through the controller. Use the steps below:
- Press the circle button on the right controller to display the universal menu
- Hover over the clock on the menu until Quick Settings appears
- Select Quick Settings to access the panel
- Tap the unmute icon to unmute the microphone mic
If you muted the microphone, unmuting it should resolve the issue. If this does not work for you, continue to the next fix.
Restart the Headset
Another simple fix for Oculus Quest 2 mic not working is to restart the headset. This action will clear any temporary software issues causing your Oculus mic malfunction.
To restart your Oculus, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the power button on the right side of the headset
- Select Restart on the Power Off Screen
If, for some reason, you’re not able to restart your device with these steps, try this alternative method:
- Press and hold down the power button for 10 seconds
- The device will automatically shut down
- Wait for a few seconds and power it back on
A reboot should resolve Oculus Quest 2 mic not working for most users. If you continue to experience issues, you may have to try another fix.
Try a Different Game or App
Sometimes, the culprit behind your mic problem may not be device related but app-related instead. The game or app you’re currently using may not fully support Oculus Quest 2, or a compatibility issue may prevent Oculus Quest 2 mic from working.
Try a different application or game to troubleshoot this to see if the mic works. If it works in another app or game, then the issue lies with your current application, not Oculus Quest 2.
If you find that Oculus Quest 2 mic is not working in any game or app, the issue may be with your Oculus headset. Let’s see if the next fix can help resolve your Oculus mic issue.
Check for Software Update
Software updates are essential for the proper functioning of any technology device. Oculus frequently releases software updates to improve performance and fix bugs, including those that might affect the mic.
Ensure you’re not using an outdated Oculus software version and do the needful if Oculus requires an update.
Oculus Quest 2 automatically downloads software updates in the background when turned on and connected to WiFI. However, there are conditions you may have to meet before Oculus downloads updates:
- The headset has to be turned on
- Charge the battery if needed
- Connect the device to a strong internet connection via WiFi
- Keep the headset on a flat surface for an extended period
- Don’t block the inside sensor
If you don’t meet these conditions, Oculus may not be able to download software updates as soon as they’re available. Thankfully, there is a manual way to check for software updates on Oculus Quest 2.
- Press the circular button on the right controller
- On the universal menu, hover over the clock
- Tap the Quick Settings that appears
- Select Settings (top right) on the Quick Settings panel
- Select System (circular icon) and Software Update (clock-ish icon) from the menu
From here, Oculus will check if a software update is available, and a button will appear if there’s one. Install the update and see if Oculus Quest 2 mic works again.
Adjust the Sound Setting
You don’t need a PC to use your Oculus Quest 2, but connecting the headset to a PC expands the gaming and app possibilities. You might have mic issues if your PC and headset are incorrectly set up.
Here’s what you can do to troubleshoot Oculus Quest 2 mic not working while using it with a PC:
- Locate the sound icon at the bottom right of your taskbar
- Right-click on it and select Open Sound Settings
- In the input selection menu, choose headset microphone (Oculus Virtual Audio Device)
This setting ensures that your headset supplies the PC with sound (your voice) that is transmitted to the game or app you’re using.
Update Device Drivers
This fix also applies to people using Oculus Quest 2 with a PC. The drivers on your computer play a crucial role in the functionality and performance of programs, devices, and peripherals.
You may need an updated USB and graphics driver for Oculus to work properly, so make sure your computer has the latest drivers installed.
Although you can update your device drivers manually by visiting the manufacturer’s website, DriverEasy offers a much simpler solution with only a few clicks. Here’s how to update all relevant drivers that impact your virtual reality experience:
- Download and install DriverEasy on your computer
- Launch DriverEasy and click the Scan Now button
- DriverEasy will scan your computer for outdated drivers
- Click the Update All button to download and install the latest drivers for your device
Your Oculus mic should work now if the device drivers were the problem.
Talk to Customer Support
If you’ve tried all of these fixes and Oculus Quest 2 mic is still not working, then it’s time to contact Oculus customer support for further assistance. The Oculus support team has dedicated agents who can help with any issues you’re experiencing with your device, including the Oculus mic not working.
To get in touch with Oculus customer support, visit their website. You will find helpful articles and FAQs, but if you still need help, click the Contact Us link to converse with them. The support options include chat, email, chat via WhatsApp, and request a callback. Or you can click on the “request replacement” button if that’s what you want.
With these tips, you can fix Oculus Quest 2 mic issues and enjoy your virtual reality headset to the fullest. Whether it’s software updates, adjusting your sound settings, or contacting Oculus customer support, you will find the solution that works for you.
Timothy is a tech enthusiast and has been working in the industry for the past 10 years. He has a vast knowledge when comes to technology and likes to help people with this knowledge.