The Litter-Robot is a self-cleaning litter box for cats that requires a WiFi connection to function properly. If you are experiencing difficulties connecting your Litter-Robot to your WiFi network, you won’t be able to take advantage of all its features. Luckily, there are ways to fix this issue.
This guide will walk you through the process of fixing your Litter-Robot’s WiFi connection. At the end of this guide, your Litter-Robot should be connected to your WiFi network and functioning properly.
How to Fix a Litter-Robot That Won’t Connect to WiFi
Table of Contents
Start with the first method; if it does not work, try the other methods listed below.
Connect Litter-Robot to the Whisker App
You can manage and keep an eye on your robot using the Whisker app. To set it up, install the app and follow the onboarding instructions. Follow the steps below to complete the process:
Step 1: Install the Whisker App
If you have the app installed, move on to the next step. If not, here are the instructions for configuring it on your tablet or phone.
How to Install the Whisker App on Your Device
1. Navigate to the Apple App Store or Google Play (Android).
2. Search for the Whisker app.
3. Tap the Download option and wait for it to finish installing.
4. After installing the app, launch it and create an account. You must enter a valid email address and create a password.
Step 2: Complete the On-boarding Steps
You need to set up your Litter-Robot before configuring the Whisker app. A series of frustrating WiFi connection attempts could result from failing to complete this step.
Here’s how to use the Whisker app to successfully onboard your Litter-Robot.
How to Onboard Your Litter-Robot Using the Whisker App
1. Hold the “empty” and “cycle” buttons simultaneously until the power button turns blue. This will enable the Hotspot on your Litter-Robot.
2. Scan the barcode and give the robot a name to register it.
3. Using the Whisker application, provide the robot with the WiFi network password (via Bluetooth or WiFi Direct).
4. Confirm that the unit has established a secure internet connection. For confirmation, the unit will cycle, and the app will display the success page.
Step 3: Check Your Router
Ensure your device is within the WiFi router’s coverage area before continuing the on-boarding process. If the router is far away, the Litter-Robot will not connect. The following options should help you fix this:
- Examine the area between your Litter-Robot and the router for any obstacles that could cause interference. Try moving the Litter-Robot closer to the router or removing the impediments.
- Ensure that your WiFi router is active and operational. If it is not, troubleshoot or restart your router before connecting your Litter-Robot.
- Connect your phone to the same network as the Litter-Robot and ensure it is in range. After configuration, you do not need to be on the same network.
Step 4: Restart the Litter-Robot App
The next step is to close and reopen the Litter-robot app.
How to Restart the Litter-Robot App
1. Close the app completely.
2. Unplug your unit from the BASE, not the wall, while it is in the Home position with the blue light.
3. Wait for fifteen seconds, then plug it back in.
4. Let it cycle until the solid blue light illuminates as a signal that it is ready.
5. Sign out of the app and log back in.
Continue with the on-boarding process.
This process should be completed within 10 minutes and transmitted at 2.4 GHz to achieve maximum results.
Step 5: Check for Important Details
Your Litter-Robot should be connected if you follow the above instructions. However, if your connectivity problems persist, check the following:
- The length of SSID network names must be less than 31 characters.
- Network passwords must be between 8 and 31 characters long and cannot include slashes, periods, or spaces (/.)
- There should be no hidden networks in your network.
- Check to see if your network has a password.
- Ensure you are using the latest version of the app.
If you are an iPhone user, try the on-boarding process while your Bluetooth is on. If you do this, you won’t need to connect to the Litter-Robot Hotspot.
Android users should turn on Airplane Mode before trying to continue the on-boarding process. The reason is Android devices have a Smart Network Switch that interferes with the connection of the Litter robot. However, when prompted, you should activate your WiFi and join the Litter-Robot network.
Connect Litter-Robot to WiFi Using Airplane Mode
The procedure above may fail due to bugs, especially if you use an Android device. Don’t give up hope if that happens. Use the steps below to configure your WiFi and Litter-Robot.
How to Connect Litter-Robot to WiFi Successfully
1. Log in to the Litter-Robot app using your cellular data.
2. After logging in, switch to airplane mode. Doing this will prevent other network disruptions and automatic WiFi connections.
3. Continue the process (in airplane mode) until it’s time to name the robot.
4. Naming the robot will require a cellular connection, so turn on your data to proceed. Remember to turn it off and return to airplane mode after you’ve named the robot.
5. When the message “Finishing up” appears, re-enable cellular data to complete the process.
Complete the Process with Your Cellular Data
If, after following the above instructions, you are still unable to connect your Litter-Robot, try this approach instead:
How to Connect Your Litter-Robot With WiFi Using Cellular Data
1. Log out, close, and force-quit the app.
2. Forget all WiFi networks, including the Litter-Robot WiFi network.
3. Turn off WiFi to use cellphone data instead.
4. Log in again after restarting the program.
5. Use cellular data to complete all procedures until prompted to connect to Litter-Robot WiFi.
6. Connect to your WiFi, choose the Litter-Robot network, and enter your password.
7. Continue the process until you arrive at the final step.
8. Select your home WiFi, retype your password and connect to it. Wait for the “Completed” prompt to show up.
Litter-Robot remains one of the most effective tools for collecting your cat’s litter.
Although it can be challenging to set up, if you follow the instructions in this article, reconnecting and restarting your Litter-Robot will be a much easier process.
And if you still can’t connect to the Litter-Robot, contact customer service for assistance. They should help you resolve your connectivity issues and reactivate your device.
Timothy is a tech enthusiast and has been working in the industry for the past 10 years. He has a vast knowledge when comes to technology and likes to help people with this knowledge.